Whenever I’m asked what my favorite dessert is, the answer never changes, it’s CAKE! And as much as I love eating cakes, I enjoy baking them too! That’s why my Instagram has three types of photos, my own pictures, quotes related to or from books and Cakes (that I bake, of course)!
We all know that as tempting they look, cakes are equally unhealthy. Lots of carbs, fats loaded in one beautiful piece of dessert.
So, while deciding about which dessert I should make for this Sugar-Free Desert Challenge, I decided to bake a healthy cake which is not just delicious but has some nutritional values too. Read on:
Vegan Coconut Cake with Choco Truffle Icing
Vegan Coconut Cake with Choco Truffle Icing
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Icing Time: 10 min
- 1 Cup All Purpose flour
- 2 Cups Curd (Yogurt)
- 1 1/2 Cup Rava (Suji)
- 1 1/2 Cup Sugar-Free Natura/Caster Sugar/Any Sugar Substitute (Eg. Stevia)
- 1 Cup Canola Oil/Regular Oil
- 1 tsp Baking Soda/Soda Biocarb
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Cardamom Powder (For a rich flavor)
- 1 Cup shredded Coconut
- 150 gm Dark Chocolate
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cream
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly spray nonstick spray on the baking dish.
3. Sieve Flour, Baking Powder & Soda together. Add Cardamom Powder.
Tip: Always mix dry ingredients together with the whisk before adding to wet ingredients.
5. Mix it well. Don’t overmix once dry ingredients are added. Mix slowly until incorporated.
6. Pour the Batter in the Baking dish and set it with a spatula.
Tip: Always fill the batter up to the half of the dish. Don’t fill more than 1/2 full–2/3 at the most.
7. Put the dish in the oven and set the timer for 45 minutes at 200 degree Celsius.
Tip: If you have more batter than required, refrigerate it and use within 24 hours.
8. After the timer goes off, put a skewer in the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean, your cake is done. If not, bake for another 5 minutes.
Tip: When baking in an oven, the heavenly smell of the cake is a reminder that the cake is almost done.
Do not remove the cake from the pan immediately. Let it cool for 15 minutes or so.
9. After removing, put it on another dish, a flat plate would be good. Remove the crust if not even, like I did. The crust is delicious as well, don’t waste it. You can use it as a garnish.
Now set it aside and let’s move to the Icing.
1. Melt chocolate in a non-stick pan.
2. Add cream for a glaze. And milk to get the consistency. Cook till starts thickening.
3. Use a palette knife to spread the chocolate after dipping in the hot water. This wouldn’t let the chocolate stick on the knife. Spread evenly all over the cake, on the top as well as sides.
Check out this video for the process:
5. After combing the cake, garnish it with the shredded coconut powder.
- I sprinkled the coconut powder on the sides and made two circles on the top, one as a boundary and another in the middle.
- I used sprinkles (cake decorations) in the left out space.
See how it turned out:
So many pictures because I can’t stop gloating about how beautiful it turned out!
P.S.: The difference between the quality of pictures is all thanks to the camera of Sony and IPhone.
The taste turned out to be amazing. It was like, Christmas in my mouth! Not just the cake was adequately sweetened, it was also amazingly healthy because of the diet sugar. Diabetes is a popular disease in my family and this sugar-free dessert was a great relief to their sweet tooths.
I would recommend you to use sugar substitutes because they provide equal sweetness but lesser fats!
Tell me how you liked the recipe and if you try it, do let me know! Share your views in the comment box! Also, if you liked this recipe and want me to publish more, do let me know in the comments!
It's beautiful Radhika 🙂
It's really a very good dessert with low calories. And you explained the entire process clearly. Thank you for sharing Radhika 🙂 And wish you all the best for the contest.
Expressingly Delicious. 😀
Very well made Radhika.
Tempting to eat this cake :p
Thanks so much, Anjali! 😀
Thanks so much, Prasanna! 🙂 Hope you try it sometime 😛
Haha, thanks so much, Hitesh! You can try it, it tastes like heaven! I assure you 😀
Drooling already! Thank you for the recipe Radhika :), I'll try it soon
Style.. A Pastiche! – styleapastiche.com – New OOTD Post
wow, award winning effort. Really scrumptious and fabulous at the same time.
Thanks so much for this sweet comment, Neeraj! 😀
This is just beautiful! Amazingly done! I'm already craving! You described it so well with photos. Good luck for the contest. Do read my entry and share your views here >> http://bit.ly/1lu90wD
the final pic of the cake looks just woww!!!! simply wow!!! amazing work. simply amazing. wow. the dishes look so tempting. great job. Well Done. All the best for the contest.
🙂 🙂 🙂
Here is My entry:- https://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=529169
I'm glad you like it, Chaicy! Do share with me when you try! 😀
Thanks so much, Amreen! 🙂
Checking out your entry right away!
Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Felicia! 😀
On my way to your entry! 🙂
I am super duper hungry for a dessert now after seeing those pics.
This is sooo good.. very detailed and awesome recipe.. 🙂
Haha, I hope you try it! It tastes' amazing! 😀
Thanks so much, Sneh! 😀
Ohh that's gr8 i will try to make it……
Hey, thanks Naman! Do share your experience with me! Would love to know. 😀
Lovely cake. Without sugar, it is even better. TY.
Thanks so much, Hugh! 😀
Awesome and it's healthy too! I will try this out 🙂