20 Things You’ll Learn In Your 20’s!
Sharing some life lessons that I’ve learned and some that I’m yet to learn:
(No chronology. All the points have their respective significance.)
1. Money: Start earning for yourself or minimize your expenses. You should know that the money in your pockets is borrowed (unless of course you’ve started earning even before you entered this decade!). Pay your bills yourself and see how it changes all the things as well as people around you! The moment you are financially free, there is nothing that can stop your life from being awesome. That moment when you count your hard-earned money, it feels like heaven, I assure you.
2. Responsibility: What is freedom? “Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves” said Friedrich Nietzsche and it couldn’t have been explained better. Your life is your responsibility and it includes the decisions made for you which you easily assented to. There neither is anyone nor there will be anyone to blame for the choices you make, so choose wisely.
3. Career: The most important choice you will ever make is that of the field you’ll devote the half of your life to. Instead of following the mainstream stereotypes, explore your options, your capabilities. Push yourself beyond the limit and see how you’ll find the perfect career in no time. The process would take time and resources but would be worth it in the end.
4. Time: Time and tide wait for none, don’t waste it all just to have fun. Invest your time in the right things and see how it’ll reward you with surprises unheard of. Get your lazy butt off the bed and make the most of every second that passes. You never know which would be your last so make sure that you make a mark, that you leave the traces of your existence. Time is precious, waste it wisely!
5. Health: Growing up infuses so much energy and excitement in you that you ignore altogether the shape your body has dwelled itself into. And by the time you realize it, you’ll be too old to do anything about it. Exercise and take care of your body while you are young so that you can stay alive to tell the tales of the way you rocked the world in your youth when the old age strikes. Smoking, drinking, drugs, and tobacco, etc are some things that make sure you die earlier than fate had planned. You should resort to such ideas of fun only when you’ve got a dare to end your life before predicted by the strokes on your hand.
6. Family: Family comes first, whatever happens. The person you have been in love with (relationships, not one-sided love) is also family, so don’t just leave them mid-way in the name of the family. And hey, if they don’t seem to be family, you haven’t been in love. Your family is the only bunch of human beings in this whole wide world who would never give up on you and will hold your back in the worst of times.
You don’t have the time or emotional space to deal with people who drain you of time or happiness without restoring it. Do away with the negativity in your life and cherish the people who make sure that you smile all the time.
8. Future: This is the time you should be investing in your future. Not just visualize but achieve the dreams that have been in your mind and heart for so long. Don’t let your past play tricks on you. No denying the fact that the future will be confusing, uncertain, unpredictable but what fun would life be if you knew what’s gonna happen next! So, accept the past, live in the present and embrace the future with open arms.
11. Expectations: ‘Expectations hurt’– one of the oldest and cruelest truth. Instead of learning it the hard way, lessen your expectations and live a happy life. The more you expect out of people, the more is the pain when they are not met.
12. Change: Change is the only constant. To change with the times, the surroundings is the only way to survive in this world.
20. Travel: Any amount of time or resources that you invest in traveling will be one of the best investments you’ll ever make to explore your being. To travel alone is to know thyself, a lot better than before, a little less than next time. Not only does it help in sorting out your myriad thoughts but also helps in your evolution.
Your 20’s will be a roller coaster ride, you’ll just need to hold on tight. So go out and seize the day!
Share the things that you learned in your 20’s in the comment box!
Happy Reading! 🙂